Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My view on steroids as a child

This post is a continuation of my post on September 20th, about the effects pro athletes have on younger generations. The other day, I was reminiscing about our old little league team. It was some of the most exciting baseball I ever played. We had fun, won baseball games, and traveled the Midwest doing what we loved. Although baseball is a competitive sport, even within a team, everybody got along.

On days off, we would ride around the neighborhood looking for any type of athletic activity. After practices, we met up and went to the pool or played whiffle ball in our buddy's backyard. Road trips were even better. While it may seem dull or boring to some, a hotel can offer a lot of freedom for 12-year-olds. All I am trying to say is we had a great time, as a team.

That's what baseball is, a team sport. The best pitcher in the world can't make up for a poor defense just as a slugger who hits fifty home runs-a-year can't make up for a pitching staff that gives up ten runs-a-game. Thinking about the good times made me realize how much the game, at a professional level, has changed.

Stolen bases, sacrificing yourself for the team, and playing small ball are all out. Home runs, giant biceps, and record-shattering numbers are in. One player (Alex Rodriguez) is making over $200,000,000 during his career!

It's not even that I care that much about the MLB anymore, but I do care about the kids. I think they should all have the opportunity to have the same experiences I did when I was their age. Making lifelong friends, improving your skills, and learning about life should be the only things they have to worry about. Instead, selfish meat-heads are revolutionizing the game, for the worst.

If players who knowingly ingest performance enhancing drugs have any sense, they should take a look back and realize where they came from.


No comments:

Post a Comment